SD-WAN technology has gained popularity over the last few years as organisations seek to modernise their network infrastructure.
The Complete Guide to IT Infrastructure and Connectivity for Temporary School Buildings
Table of Contents
What technical infrastructure is needed in temporary buildings to facilitate digital learning?
Setting up temporary school buildings to ensure they are fit for purpose requires careful planning. The IT infrastructure for temporary classrooms needs to provide students, teachers, and staff with secure and reliable access to digital resources.
What are the key components of a temporary connectivity solution?
- Temporary Internet Connectivity
A reliable internet connection is crucial for online learning, communication, and accessing digital resources. If connectivity is required urgently, for example, in the event of classrooms moving to temporary buildings, limited options will be available. Fibre-leased lines, used within permanent buildings, take months to install, so other options must be considered.
Simpli-Fi specialises in temporary wireless connectivity solutions, providing Starlink Satellite and bonded 4/5G solutions that can be rapidly deployed within 24 hours.
All devices, including laptops, iPads, printers, scanners and interactive whiteboards, need access to WiFi. Software and learning platforms and LMS all need to be accessible to teachers and students via a reliable connection.
2. Network Infrastructure
- Routers and Switches: Routers and switches need to be installed to create a local area network (LAN) within the school buildings. These need to be capable of handling the expected network traffic.
- WiFi Access Points: Wireless access points need to be deployed strategically throughout the building to provide wireless internet access to students and staff.
What is the best WiFi solution for temporary classrooms?
The best WiFi solution for temporary classrooms will depend on various factors, including the number of classrooms, the size of the area to be covered, the budget, and the specific needs of the school or educational institution.
A professional provider, such as Simpli-Fi, will carry out a survey and recommend the best solution for your requirements.
Commonly used WiFi solutions for temporary classrooms include:
Enterprise-Grade Access Points
- Using enterprise-grade access points (APs) from reputable brands like Ruckus, Cisco, Aruba, or Ubiquiti can provide reliable and scalable WiFi coverage. These APs are designed for high-density environments and can handle a large number of users simultaneously.
Outdoor Access Points
- If the temporary classrooms are located outdoors or in open areas, consider using outdoor-rated access points. These APs are designed to withstand outdoor conditions and can extend coverage to outdoor learning spaces.
- Cloud-managed WiFi solutions allow you to manage and monitor the network remotely. This is especially helpful for temporary setups, as it reduces the need for on-site IT personnel.
Simpli-Fi’s Enterprise WiFi Solution offers pre-design and site surveys to on-site deployment, wrapped up with our managed services for your wireless network to keep your school securely connected.
What are the key features of an excellent temporary connectivity solution?
- The WiFi solution needs to include robust security features, such as WPA3 encryption, guest network isolation, and intrusion detection, to protect the network and user data. This should be included in the managed services contract with your supplier.
- A solution should be able to be easily scaled up or down based on the number of classrooms and users. This flexibility is essential for temporary setups.
- A good provider should include technical support. A managed service to assist with setup, troubleshooting, and maintenance can be beneficial to ensure a seamless user experience.
- A suitable UPS (uninterruptible power supply) should be installed to protect your equipment against power surges and keep the network up and running in the event of any power failures.
- The cost of a temporary WiFi solution should include hardware, licensing, and ongoing maintenance.
Simpli-Fi provides a temporary Internet and WiFi solution, meaning you just rent the hardware without significant capital expenditure.
It’s advisable to consult with IT professionals or network specialists who can assess the specific requirements of your temporary classrooms and recommend the most suitable WiFi solution based on your needs and constraints. Additionally, conducting a site survey to understand the layout and potential sources of interference can help optimise the placement of access points for the best coverage.